May 17, 2011

Annoyances in Published Patterns

I've been doing some hand-knitting lately and I've decided that their are some definite annoyances in modern printed patterns. So here they are in no particular order:
  1. Patterns that start on one page, but finish elsewhere (newspaper style)- This annoys me in newspapers too. But at least there they have a somewhat legitimate reason for it. In a magazine or book there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to split a pattern up like this.
  2. Patterns that don't tell what weight yarn they use. I very rarely use the yarn the pattern calls for; I guess I could be the Queen of Substitution. I just don't see why I should have to pay for designer yarn when there is a yarn at half the price one shelf over. Substitutions aside, in as little as 5 years from when the pattern is written the particular yarn can be discontinued. Without a weight specified, how can you knit the pattern?
  3. Patterns with guages that are impossible to obtain on the size needle or hook specified.
  4. Patterns that use multiple sizes of needles/hooks to do shaping. Occassionally, this is fine, but for a small project- like a hat- it is really annoying to have to carry six sizes of needles with me. (maybe I'm the only person bothered by this?)
  5. Garment patterns that don't give finished measurements AND a diagram. (this is one of my major peeves; I think everything else can be preposterous with a pattern, but as long as you have a diagram with sizes I'm fine)
  6. Patterns that tell you to knit or crochet for a specified number of inches. Seriously? What's the point of specifying a row guage if you're not going to use it. Come now do some math with me 5 in X 6 rows per inch = 30 rows. Wow, now that wasn't so hard! Now I realize that magazines have space limits; but it takes much less space to say continue in pattern for 30 rows, than to say continue in pattern until work measures 5 inches from beginning ending on a wrong side row.

1 comment:

Bella said...

Good list!

The handknit patterns that you get in Norway only give bust, hip and back length for the finished garment. They have yet to discover row counts either in gauge or pattern descriptons. That's one reason why I love the French and US patterns.

One of my biggest annoyances is the fact that published patterns usually assume that at an adult gets wider, they also get taller!
Not very helpful for a short person like myself to have armholes that way down South!